Monday, April 12, 2010

What would you do? #82 - Facing turn raise on coordinated board

Rush poker:

Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $110.20
UTG+1: $89.80
UTG+2: $54.50
MP1: $100.00
MP2: $109.50
CO: $114.25
BTN: $114.40
Hero (SB): $136.40
BB: $76.55 - [[AUTO GEN Hands: 76/VPIP:10.53/PFR:10.53/ATS:20.0/3Bet:2.86]]

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is SB with Kc Ks
3 folds, MP1 raises to $3.50, MP2 calls $3.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $15, BB calls $14, MP1 calls $11.50, MP2 calls $11.50
This is *NOT* good; I raise to $15 and get 3 (THREE!!!) callers! WTF? Do I need to raise to $50 here? Not getting this!

Flop: ($60.00) 6c 8s 7h (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks
With 3 callers, this hits a huge overlimping range. No one leads out though. Kinda eery.

Turn: ($60.00) Ts (4 players)
Hero bets $25, BB raises to $50, MP1 requests TIME, MP1 raises to $85 all in, MP2 folds, Hero folds, BB calls $11.55 all in
I have terrible position and no one leading; I'm going to take a stab here. BB pretty quickly tells me my KK is no good. From the action, I'm thinking that this is a set vs. 99 situation.

Without looking at the results, what would you do? Would you lead the turn? In retrospect, it was a terrible lead - I think sets and 99 have me crushed and I'm expecting a call all around. I should have checked another street; a wasted 25BBs sucks, but live & learn, right?


Click to see results



River: ($208.10) 4s (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $208.10
MP1 shows 6d 6s (three of a kind, Sixes) - There's the set
BB shows Js Jh (a pair of Jacks) - LOL. Dumbass!
MP1 wins $205.10
(Rake: $3.00)

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, this is a bad spot, and as you played it, even worse. I'd say you have to fold the turn once you are raised. Against three other players that called three bets, there isn't much chance you are ahead.

    Pre-flop, $15 seems like a decent raise, although you are out of position. You could probably make it $20 pretty easily and ensure that the limpers really aren't getting odds to call (yet the original raiser would probably still call with JJ, QQ, AK, etc). I really can't fault the raise that much.

    The big blind cold-calling is strange -- I'd have to put him on a hand near the top of his range, maybe JJ+, AK, AQs. That's a pretty strong call for a tight player. And, noting that, I have to wonder if you don't have him beat on the turn (i.e. he has JJ or QQ).

    The flop is horrible for you. Even worse, pretty much any bet will commit you. If you are going to make a probe bet like you did on the turn, I'd do it on the flop. Otherwise, pretty much a check-fold situation with the way the cards turned out.

    Betting the turn was a huge mistake -- there are few cards that would be better for your opponent's ranges than the ten! Granted, it is just a horrible chain of events all the way around -- I think it is hard to be profitable with that flop no matter what.

    Overall, I'd just chalk this one up as a cracked hand. Sure, there is a slight chance you'd fold the best hand when you check-folded the turn, but there's a bigger chance you'd lose your stack.

    Maybe the lesson here is to slightly overbet the pot OOP with big pairs. That will prevent small pairs from having the correct odds to call and give you a push (or committing bet) on the flop to protect your hand.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive