Friday, July 31, 2009

Bankroll management that I subscribe to...

I have been talking with a few friends about proper bankroll management. There was spirited debate as to how much or how little bankroll is needed for a certain level. One of my friends is playing .25/.5 with a $100 bankroll, to which I advised him he is WAY under-rolled. I think, though, based on the chart below, I am slightly over-rolled for .1/.25. I consider myself between protected & unprotected as far as online playing goes. My philosophy is such that I have no plans EVER on adding "real world" money to my online bankroll, thus making my bankroll "tough" to replace if I lost it.

Stolen from PocketFives.com's Basic Bankroll Management:



PRO
Protected
UnProtected
Limit Hold'em 550 Big Bets 400 Big Bets 200 Big Bets
NL Holdem 45 Buy Ins 25 Buy Ins 15 Buy Ins
SNG 65 Entries 45 Entries 20 Entries
MTT 200 Entries 100 Entries 40 Entries

The numbers in the "Pro" column are for players who derive the majority of their income playing, and would be devastated financially if they lost their bankroll to a bad run of cards. Using these figures will yield a less than 1% chance of going broke over the course of a lifetime of play assuming that you are a solid winning player.

The numbers in the "Protected" column are for a bankroll that you are going to attempt to make a serious income from. If your bankroll will be tough to replace if you lose most of it then you should use these numbers as a starting point.

The "Unprotected" column is for people who are willing to play a little looser in an attempt to build a bankroll, and for those of you who could easily replace your bankroll if you were to lose it. Keep in mind that using these figures does yield a significant possibility of going broke or having to drop down levels if you get off to a rough start. An average winning player (if there is such a thing) would have a less than 10% chance of going broke if they use the unprotected number and don't remove any money from their bankroll until it is built up to a safer level. If you use the unprotected column as a long term guide, and pull money out any time you get significantly above that number, you will almost certainly go broke at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive