Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WTF Hand - Sometimes you need to put someone on a hand

In following with a post yesterday, I talked about the power of putting someone on a hand.  As readers of this blog are aware by now, I've become a Rush junkie (or flunky - depending on your perspective).  By now, I think I've pretty much seen it all, and been on both sides of the coin.  I've been set over setted more times than I care to remember, run KK into AA, and had both sides suckout, etc.

The focus, though, is watching out for getting set over setted.  Sometimes, you just *HAVE* to put your opponent on a hand.  The following is a case where the villain *HAS* to put me on a hand, and likely put me on a hand that beats his set.  DISCLAIMER: I know he flopped Jacks full (well, not at the time; I figured he had trip Aces as well), but he should at least give me credit for a good Ace.  There is no need for this guy to stack off to me (although I probably bet him all in anyway):

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

MP2: $93.65
Hero (CO): $75.95
BTN: $50.60
SB: $85.35
BB: $102.25
UTG: $68.70
UTG+1: $66.30
UTG+2: $55.85
MP1: $88.90

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with As Kc
5 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, 2 folds, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75) Jc Ah Ad (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2.75, BB raises to $9.60, Hero calls $6.85
Okay; so he check / raises me, but am I realistically getting off of trips, top kicker here, particularly 150BBs deep?  With his ~3x raise, I can still profitably call here.  I am fairly certain I am ahead, but he could very well have AJ... although I see him on a hand like Ax.  At this point, we have 20BBs in the middle...  Given his zeal for the check / raise flop, my plan is to try and see a showdown cheaply (read: not get stacks in), but proceed cautiously on future streets

Turn: ($22.95) Kd (2 players)
BB bets $16.05, Hero calls $16.05
Best card, but why does he continue to 2/3 pot it?  I understand that we're deep and he wants stacks, but shouldn't he be re-evaluating my hand here?  A A J K hits my range pretty hard core.  He's clearly getting value from what he perceives as I have an Ax hand, where he feels I'm not getting away from it.  Perhaps this isn't so much of a WTF hand after all, but this should be a cautionary tale.  Given the board texture, bottom boats like this are not always the nuts, and so deep stacked, you should chill out a bit...

River: ($55.05) 6s (2 players)
BB bets $74.85 all in, Hero calls $48.55 all in
Again, he didn't really need to do this.  There are quite a few hands that beat him at this point.

Final Pot: $152.15
Hero shows As Kc (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
BB shows Jh Jd (a full house, Jacks full of Aces) - The hand is a cooler, yes, but there was no need to for him to willingly push 150BBs with it.  I think he has to slow down on the turn, which will probably make it harder for me to get stacks (who am I kidding; stacks are going in regardless at that point, but at least he's not the aggressor and getting it in on the wrong side).
Hero wins $149.15
(Rake: $3.00)

Edit: And don't point out that I did the same thing in reverse in yesterday's post.  Yesterday's post is a different situation, where the only hand that beats me at that point are Queens full or Aces full.  Given the way my opponent played the hand, the money didn't go in until the river...  There are plenty of hands that I have crushed with 9's full, where in the hand above, there are quite a few hands that have Jacks full beat: Aces full of Kings, 6's, Jacks, quad Aces, Kings full. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive