Sunday, May 2, 2010

There's no such thing as a free lunch.... HA! (no poker content)

I'm going to deviate from the intent of this blog for a post.  I'm entitled to do that every once in awhile (it's my blog & I do what I want to...).  Anyone that knows me in person knows that I'm cheap when it comes to my personal finances.  I want the very most for the very least.  I'm willing to put in the time to shop around and get what I want; if you've been reading this blog long enough, you've seen posts about deals I've found... generally poker-related, but good deals nevertheless.  Anyway, long story short: I literally got a free meal last night, without even asking for it!

First: a quick shout out to the guys at South Street Steaks, where I received my free meal.  Now the story, which isn't much of a story:

Just about the one good thing coming from Philadelphia is their cheese steaks.  They suck at just about everything else.  Sorry Riggstad, but it's true!  They have a loser of a World Series team.  They have a laughable basketball team.  Finally, the city just kinda SUCKS!  There is one other good thing, the show "Always Sunny in Philadelphia"... and that's not even filmed in Philadelphia (don't know; just made that up!), but I digress.

Well, back to my original point.  I I love their cheese steaks, and there's a place about 5 miles from my house who sells fairly authentic hoagies (I think that's what they call 'em) / steaks.  I get the kidides to bed, checking in on the BBT5 Invitational Event #3 (great first table, BTW: cmitch, josie, julius goat, [I think] jjrok and a few other notables I can't remember at the moment), and decide to drive out to get me some vittles.

Now, the wife was perfectly willing to make some Sunday leftovers from the week, but I just wasn't feeling it.  I was motivated to get out and get some hot fresh food.  Well, I get there, and they're "closed."  It's 8:00PM, and they claim they're out of meat.  How does a CHEESE STEAK PLACE run out of meat?  Whatever the reason, they ran out, though.  So I say that I drove "all the way out here," and they're all "sorry, poor planning."  However, they offer me a heart-attack-on-a-hoagie roll called the "Steel City" with bacon, which contains "(french fries line the roll, w/ fried onions & choice of cheese)" and the obvious, bacon (I know; we keep Kosher in the house, but I still like tasty yummy BACON from my non-Kosher days; I keep a see-food diet out of the house.).  They told me they made it by accident, and were going to throw it out, but I could have it as compensation for the drive.  Well, you don't have to ask me twice!  I took that, and a bag of their fries and got outta dodge, free of charge.  I get home and open it - this thing is filled with tons of meat and other good stuff.  It was awesome (note to self: next time: subtract the bacon - it was just too much)!  Now, I sit here, stuffed to the gills, writing this post, checking in on the final 10 at the BBT, railing Josie, Dr. Chako, and Astin, trying to digest the meat and other crap.  So the point of this rambling story is, I did, indeed get a freeby, and South Street Steaks gained a customer for life (not as if they didn't have one already).

Thanks, SSS!

2 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerened; poker and steak go hand in hand!!!
    Good on you!
    This is a fun post.
    looking forward to some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't always talk about poker. Its good to change it up.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive