Friday, January 8, 2010

What would you do? #46 - steal -> called 3bet OOP

Interesting hand vs. a 20/16:

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Hold'em - 8 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/454752
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $5.05 - Reckless, loose.
MP1: $63.95 - Reckless, loose.
MP2: $50.75
Hero (CO): $50.85
BTN: $60.55 - A frustrated player; 20/16 @ 412 hands. He has been 3 betting me a ton due to the fact (in my perception) that I keep stealing blinds and buttons from him. I am out of position against him, and have had to fold 3 out of my last 5 steal attempts.
SB: $50.60
BB: $19.10
UTG: $50.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with Qd Td
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.75, BTN raises to $7, 4 folds, Hero calls $4.25 - I raise to steal the blinds + limpers. I had been doing this quite a bit, but lately I have been met with resistance from the BTN. Additionally, I believe he is 3 betting me light at this point because he realizes I am stealing a ton. Therefore, he re-steals against me in position, with the intent of picking up the dead money (limpers) + my steal money.

Had the BTN been successful, it would have been a nice pot: $4.50. Wrong as it may be, this is the highest quality hand I've had vs. this player in a steal situation
. Therefore, I make the awkward call, out of position.

Flop: ($15.75) Ad 6c 5d (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $9.50, Hero calls $9.50 - I don't believe he 3bet with AA and flopped a set. He could very well have AK, AQ, AJ, even AT. I also put air and randoms in his range for 3betting in this spot. However, I make the call with the expectation that he won't slow down any streets upcoming if I hit my diamond draw. I think he could easily try to represent the flush, given the passive line that I take on the flop.

Turn: ($34.75) 6d (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $34.75, Hero ??? - I have now check /called and checked again. 65 is certainly in his light 3bet range, as is 55. It doesn't make sense to me that he leads for pot on the turn... if he has the boat, isn't he betting for value? What is your read here?


Click to see results



Hero calls $34.35 all in

River: ($103.45) Jd (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $103.45
Hero shows Qd Td (a flush, Ace high) - Probably an easier call than usual. It was unusual to see this player take a bluff this far... so far as to lose a stack over a re-steal attempt. I think he has to shut it down on the turn instead of shoving the turn.
BTN shows 8s 7d (a flush, Ace high) - He was on a draw and did leave himself with "outs" though he was drawing completely dead on the turn.
Hero wins $100.45
(Rake: $3.00)

2 comments:

  1. I feel dumb asking this, but I'm fairly new to poker and I've been reading your blog for a while now and I was just wondering what the numbers next to the players names are (for instance in this post you have 20/16 next to one of the players). I feel like its some sort of indication of their style of play, but I've been looking back at your posts and have been searching online and can't really find any information on it. If you could maybe give me a brief rundown on what they mean I'd really appreciate it - thanks! Awesome blog - its fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous -

    Non need to feel dumb. The two numbers next to the player names are "VPIP" and "PFR" - Voluntary put into pot & pre-flop raise %. I put a post up on Poker Tracker stats: http://lowstakeshands.blogspot.com/2009/12/quickie-run-down-of-poker-tracker-pt3.html a few days ago. Check it out for further explanation.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive