Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Calling with AQo high

Calling with A high? I'm probably more comfortable than I should be with doing this, because it seems to cost more when I'm wrong than when I'm right, but here goes a good hand:

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $58.00
UTG+1: $50.00
MP1: $84.15
MP2: $52.50
Hero (CO): $103.00
BTN: $24.35 - LAG
SB: $42.95
BB: $72.75

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with Ac Qc
4 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) Jd 2h 7c (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks
No draws on this board; I set myself up for a raise if I lead here. I am definitely calling a bet from out of position because I'm certain the cards here are not in his range.

Turn: ($3.75) 9h (2 players)
Hero bets $2.50, BTN calls $2.50
I think I'm still ahead here, but the 9h puts a TON of draws on the board. His flat indicates that he's picked up a drawing hand.

River: ($8.75) 6h (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $8.75, Hero requests TIME, Hero calls $8.75
Decision time: Was he on the heart draw or the straight draw? No matter; would he be potting on the river if he has a made hand? It seems that consistently at this level, weak means strong and strong means weak. I thought about it for awhile, trying to put him on a hand. If he has a pair here, I believe he's checking behind. If he has a flush, I think he's betting ~$4-5. Therefore, I make the call with the second nut no pair. Pretty light!

Final Pot: $26.25
Hero shows Ac Qc (Ace Queen high)
BTN shows Qs Th (Queen Jack high)
Hero wins $24.95
(Rake: $1.30)

So let's review: He throws "good" money after bad by telling a terrible river story. Lesson: You can't make this move very often, and when you do, you need to make it a credible story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive