Friday, October 16, 2009

Squeeze!

Speaking of the 3 bet... Here is a fine example: I am not looking to see a flop; I want to take it down right here & now. My hand has plenty of value at this point- I'm likely better than 50/50 with any of these players (2 limpers plus the open means that at least 1 or 2 share cards, if not all). The original open is a 35/18, giving him a range that I can drive a truck through.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/325888
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $50.00
UTG: $63.30
UTG+1: $10.00
MP1: $50.00
MP2: $49.25
CO: $51.30
Hero (BTN): $58.15
SB: $10.25

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with 8s 8h
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $2, MP1 calls $2, 1 fold, CO calls $2, Hero raises to $8, 5 folds

Final Pot: $8.75
Hero wins $8.75 - Good value for 88, a middling pair with little hope on the flop. No fuss, no muss, and no rake!

2 comments:

  1. While this is a great spot for a 3-bet does the coincidence of optimum position work against you? You may feel more comfortable 3-betting here while on the button, but do people's 4-betting ranges open up against you here, knowing that you're 3-betting lightest from this spot?

    Is a flat call with the chance to play a large multi-way pot, while in position have a higher expectation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that as I contemplated my action prior to the 3 bet. I actually expected at least one call - but I think my bet sizing was a little on the large side. At any rate, I have a 1 out of 8 shot of improving on the flop, coupled with the chance that any one of the 3 villains needs to hit their hand in order to call my theoretical flopped set. On the other hand, although the 2 flatters in between the UTG+1 & me are "normal" ABC players (i.e. VPIP ~20 PFR ~8), the UTG+1 has been raising very wide and I knew I did not want to be up against randoms which I knew I could not put the villain on. If he calls, so be it, but I am getting tremendous value to shove just about any flop (remember that he only has $8 behind, which would leave him with $2 going to see a flop).

    What led me to the 3 bet decision was this: I give MP1 & CO credit for broadway cards (A-T) (and UTG+1 can have ATC), at least one of which has a 50/50 shot of flopping. If I widen that range even more to include small pocket pairs and / or semi-premium pocket pairs, then I'm either crushed already (99,TT), or could flop my overs to a set.

    Therefore, I thought 88 is a marginal PF hand, and I am getting good value to squeeze / 3bet, and will be happy to take the pot down right here by representing AA KK (sometimes) QQ.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive