Borrowing a tag from Poker Grump, I wanted to put a quick post out on a really dumb thing I heard while playing at Delaware Park last Friday.
The setup: guy, my age (approx. 35), lawyer, big ego, clearly scared money, and all around terrible player. Besides the ego, the other characteristics were surprising to me; all of the lawyers I know who play poker are bold & aggro - and decent to good players (see Hoyazo & Jordan for immediate references). Usually, they're laden with money so the thought of dropping a few $$$ doesn't faze them in the least.
Regardless, I open raise my CO, as I had been doing with a wide range of cards, when it folds around to me. I raise to $8 with T8o which BTN and SB fold. BB (lawyer) calls and we see a heads-up flop of J 9 3, rainbow. He checks to me and I cbet for $14.
Upon contemplating for a few seconds faced with the $14 bet, he says to me, "I know you don't have anything, and I know I have you beat, but I'm going to fold this because I don't want to get into a big pot with you," and folds an Ace face-up.
Can you say "scared money," "fit or fold," "untrusting of your reads / instincts," or "fish"?
Immediately afterwards, he proceeded to burn through $80 on a top pair no kicker hand against another opponent. [Facepalm.]
- ► 2016 (24)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (22)
- ► 2013 (71)
- ► 2012 (36)
- The Poker Meister #71
- Card cheating with the deal / 2p2 Concept of the W...
- No sooner than I wonder.... Pokerstars responds!
- When and how? Cashout for P* & FT
- A bit of good news - we'll get our money back!
- Hand charts... A Monte Carlo simulation
- While the sky is falling...
- What would you do? #235 - More live play
- A Mookie / Dank win!
- When it rains, it pours... Part II
- Steps taken to legalize online poker within Washin...
- Stupid things said at the table
- What would you do? #234 - AA no good?
- The rules of the Run Good
- What would you do? #233 - A little live play...
- When it rains, it pours...
- New Micros episode!
- ▼ April (17)
- ► 2010 (380)
- ► 2009 (265)