Monday, August 3, 2009

The WTF hand of the day...

Catch a donkey by the toe, if he hollers [don't] let him go...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

BB ($11.24)
UTG ($20.31)
MP1 ($20.59)
Hero (MP2) ($11.08)
CO ($60.33)
Button ($7.59)
SB ($19.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Qc, Qh
UTG bets $0.75, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.25, 3 folds, BB calls $2, UTG calls $1.50
I try to juice the pot a little. I think if UTG re-raises, I have to fold; perhaps my stack size dictates otherwise, so I need to look into that (I just don't want to be dominated by AA, KK and make a call). However, a raise from UTG is generally a strong move. I am a bit surprised to see BB smooth, though. Finally, I relax and absolve my fears of AA, KK, (most of the time) AK when UTG smooths my re-raise.

Flop: ($6.85) 2s, 3c, 10c (3 players)
BB bets $8.99 (All-In), UTG calls $8.99, Hero calls $8.83 (All-In)
I think no matter the flop, with ~$9 remaining, I've reached my commitment threshold (the pot is more than half of my stack). I really don't have a clue as to what the BB is up to at this point, with his call of a 3bet PF and a flop shove. UTG tanks for a long time before making the call. I have an overpair, though this is a crying call. I really don't like putting my whole stack in with a marginal hand like 1 pair. However, I'm happy to see UTG come along with his 99, 88, 77, or some such combination, which, based on his tanking at the decision, is what I'm putting him on).

Turn: ($33.66) 3d (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($33.66) As (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $33.66 | Rake: $1.68

Results:
BB had Qd, Ks (one pair, threes).
UTG had 8c, 6c (one pair, threes).
Hero had Qc, Qh (two pair, Queens and threes).
Outcome: BB won $0.30, Hero won $31.68
Alrighty then... So let's recap: The BB calls a RR'ed pot to $2.25, pre-flop.

First mistake: that's a semi-auto fold (KQo is beaten by a lot of hands, particularly facing the action that took place pre-flop; i.e. UTG raise, MP2 re-raise). I'm not saying that KQo is a bad hand to limp or call with. However, realize that you're either beat or drawing pretty thin and fold that hand, pre-flop, to not force yourself into a series of tough decisions. You're going to spend the entire hand out of position. But fine, you want to play (HUGE mistake).

Second mistake: So you miss the flop entirely. You think you're push of a little more than pot is going to get the other short stacks off of their hands? Hmmm... there is essentially ZERO fold equity to most hands that the remaining players have. Remember, stack sizes dictate that the pot is ~2/3 the remaining effective stack sizes. A push here is not a real strong move, because it is a pretty easy call from the remaining players.

Now as far as UTG:

You've gotten a little fancy, raising 86 suited UTG. Okay; I can live with that - in fact, I do it myself and like that line sometimes (as long as you don't make a habit of it...). However, you can't call the re-raise, PF, out of position on a speculative hand like that, for ~20% of the effective stacks (note that BB & Hero have ~$12 stacks). It is simply not feasible. You're playing for their stacks and they've both committed, pre flop. You need to lay that hand down and accept the fact that you're beat here.

MENTAL NOTE: If you're in a position where you get re-raised from a "short stack" and you have a marginal hand, fold it down. If UTG had only read my blog about
Dealing with short stacks, perhaps he would have been in the know...

The UTG call on the flop is pretty bad as well. He's paying more than 33% odds for a flush draw with no implied odds of any more money. I think the pot is laying him 50/50 odds or thereabout, where his hand is only worth 33% (he can't believe that his 8 or 6 are live cards and he's up against a pair of tens minimum). He didn't know it at the time (perhaps he did think it though), but he would be getting correct pot odds to make a call if I make the call.

Anyway, poorly played hand by UTG & BB. I'm happy there was no suckout (there were 8 (flush outs minus my Qc) + 3 (remaining Kings) outs that could hurt me for ~56% equity for me against 44% between the two donkeys).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive