Friday, February 12, 2010

What would you do? #56 - Facing checked river on a straight possible board

From the full ring tables... (Both total lags VPIP > 55)

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG+1): $58.50
MP1: $50.00
MP2: $25.50
CO: $52.00
BTN: $55.60
SB: $51.80
BB: $50.00
UTG: $86.10

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG+1 with 9h 9c
UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.25, 4 folds, SB calls $2, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.75
I don't want to see an UTG limp inviting everyone and their brother to call along with. Therefore, I raise to isolate. This player has proven to be a donkey who will limp / call -> fold frequently. SB comes along, who is the other donkey at the table.

Flop: ($7.25) 7h 9d Kd (3 players)
SB bets $0.50, UTG raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $6, SB calls $5.50, UTG calls $4.50
Middle set. Bingo! And action! With the 2 diamonds, though, someone is surely on a draw. I am going to make them pay for their draw. I was afraid of betting full pot here where I'd lose the customers, so I opt to bet 3/4 pot. I'm actually surprised to see them both come along for the ride.

Turn: ($25.25) Js (3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $20, SB calls $20, UTG calls $20
The Jack completes the QT straight. They both check to me. I really really want to discourage a Q from calling here, because there's a lot of scary river cards that can fall. I'm very afraid of the straight, but since they both checked, I don't want to give up any free cards at this point if they don't have the straight.

River: ($85.25) 5h (3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $30.25 all in, SB calls $23.55 all in, UTG folds
Another "thin" bet, where perhaps only a better hand is calling here. Given the way he played the hand, though, is he showing up with QT?

Final Pot: $132.35
Hero shows 9h 9c (three of a kind, Nines)
SB mucks Ks 3h - Are you kidding? K3o is hard to lay down both pre flop and beyond... ESPECIALLY given the action... Thanks for the stack, donk.
Hero wins $129.35
(Rake: $3.00)

The what would you do is: Are you betting the turn and river? If not, why not? I think you're missing HUGE value by checking down, and I'm discovering that against donkeys like this, far more times than not, you're going to actually get a call from worse hands.

1 comment:

  1. I'm never, ever, ever, ever, ever (did I say ever) not betting here on turn and river against these types.

    If they have the straight, then so be it. You'll most likely get it back from them later.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive