Friday, February 5, 2010

Squeeze from the button

It is somewhat infrequent that at $50NL people are pre flop raising light, but there is an occasion where I can see fit to squeeze.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $10.00 - Raising fairly wide from all positions
UTG+1: $109.65
MP1: $25.00
MP2: $103.25
CO: $58.35 - A regular stealer, 50%+ AND fairly competent
Hero (BTN): $53.35
SB: $30.05
BB: $49.40

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with Qh Ad
UTG raises to $2, 3 folds, CO calls $2, Hero raises to $7.50, 2 folds, UTG requests TIME, 1 fold, CO calls $5.50
I have not been defending my BTN, but with a "premium" hand, I opt to 3 bet here. I'm more than happy to get it in with the the original raiser, and I feel that CO is somewhat dead money. This is the definition of a squeeze. However, based on the call, I honestly think CO has a hand. I've now established that I have a hand as well.

Flop: ($17.75) 3c 3h Jh (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $10, CO calls $10
Two heart board, and I've represented a strong 3bet hand. I'm leading his check. If he check raises me, I think I have to fold. At this point, though, I'm putting him on combinations of AJ, KJ, QJ, TJ, under pairs, and heart draws. He could also be floating air. The air is less likely for this player, because he's 1. out of position and 2. I've 3 bet strong pre flop.

Turn: ($37.75) Ts (2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks
I'm not sure where I am with this hand right now, therefore I check through- the pot is already HUGE and out of control.

River: ($37.75) 3s (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $35.85 all in, CO requests TIME, CO folds
The third three falls. This makes any pair into a full house. At this point, the pot is HUGELY bloated, on a steal / re-steal. I don't want to go down in flames and lose the pot to a pair of deuces or fours or some such crap. As I talked about above, I have to make a very strong river bet in order to take down this pot. The only logical bet here is a shove. If I bet $10-15, I'm getting called because he's getting nice odds to call with a pocket pair or even AK. If I shove, then his stack is on the line too. I don't think he wants to do that, even with Jacks (though he may be WAY more inclined to call with 3's full of Jacks).

As I talked about above, he knows I'm competent, and not willing to put my stack on the line without a major hand.

By pushing, I force my opponent to make a decision as to whether I have air or a boat. I have represented strength the whole way through the hand. He does not see me push very often, so I'm able to take advantage of my image.

I held my breath and prayed. Fortune was on my side because he folded to my represented strength.


Am I crazy?

Final Pot: $37.75
Hero wins $35.90
(Rake: $1.85)

4 comments:

  1. Your aggression might have folded out a better hand, such as an A-K (or do you think he would have raised the first guy on the flop?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he would have 3bet. I'm pretty sure he had a mid pocket pair: 44-99.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive