Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thanks for your stack, donkey!

In the following hand, I take down a big pot by hitting my inside straight draw. Take a lesson from the donkeys in how NOT to play a hand of poker:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($9.87)
SB ($10)
Hero (BB) ($9.95)
UTG ($7.61)
UTG+1 ($23.35)
MP1 ($19.17)
MP2 ($28.25)
CO ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4c, 6s
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Button calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.55) 7d, Ah, 3h (5 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.30, UTG+1 calls $0.30, MP1 calls $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.30
I flop an inside draw, and figure with the amount of calling / action already established, if I hit my 5 I will be golden. I know I'm only going to see one card unless the turn gets checked around.
FYI: I'm about 16% odds of hitting against 21% pot odds. The implied odds that I describe above are much greater, though, which is why I make the call.


Turn: ($1.75) 5s (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $1.40, UTG+1 raises to $2.80, 1 fold, Hero raises to $9.55 (All-In), UTG calls $5.81 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $6.75
Bingo! Check that 2nd nut straight like the champion I am! The action takes care of itself from here, though I am definitely concerned about the 86 or heart draw. I am less concerned about hearts, though, based on the bet out & the UTG+1 raise. However, I am satisfied to take the pot as is with the UTG+1 raise to $2.80. The push decision on my part took quite a bit of thought; the question is: are these guys calling a flop bet like this with 86? When I get them both to call, I'm fairly convinced that someone HAS to have a flush draw or the 86.

River: ($28.06) Kc (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $28.06 | Rake: $1.87

Results:
Hero had 4c, 6s (straight, seven high).
UTG had Ac, Jd (one pair, Aces).
UTG+1 had 5c, 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero won $26.19
Wow! UTG deserves to lose his whole stack. UTG+1 does too. UTG+1 is calling a flop bet with complete garbage; a pocket under pair. Had UTG+1 not called the flop bet, UTG would likely have taken the pot right then & there. Instead, UTG+1 gives me the thought of the implied odds to call the bet despite the pot odds. UTG+1 is drawing to 2 outs. Idiot.
Now the UTG with AJo should be folding this to the significant action he's faced. Does he really think there's no better hand than AJo? What about AQ, AK, any sets? Come on! Both donkeys deserve to lose their stacks. Thankfully, it is to me that they lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive