Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bad play? What would you do? #5

The following is a hand that I am very embarrassed to post. The SB is a 43 / 1 in 76 hands at this point; he's limp / calling a lot, and hardly ever raising. The reason I am embarrassed, is because I totally pwned myself... but maybe I'm not totally wrong here:

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/303713
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $20.00
UTG: $38.25
UTG+1: $50.00
MP1: $17.85
MP2: $21.05
CO: $16.50
Hero (BTN): $66.55
SB: $70.10

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with Jc Js
5 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, SB calls $1.50, 1 fold
Standard BTN raise, this time with something good.

Flop: ($4.00) Jh 8h Ac (2 players)
SB bets $2, Hero raises to $6, SB calls $4
His bet out is somewhat suspicious... he hasn't been donk betting a heck of a lot. I immediately put him on Ax - perhaps even a good ace! I want value out of this, so I raise.

Turn: ($16.00) Qc (2 players)
SB bets $5, Hero raises to $20, SB calls $15
Once again, a lead out... Maybe he hit 2 pair? He had been calling down with second pair, so perhaps QJ is a combo, Ax, or [less likely] AQ?

River: ($56.00) 7d (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $38.80 all in, SB calls $38.80
I want to value town; there are a lot less holdings that will be calling me, and the 7 doesn't change anything. To be honest, I was hoping for an 8, which would be his least likely holding, but a 7 will do.

Am I totally out of line at this point? In retrospect should I be checking behind? Would you be checking behind, or going for max pain for an Ax holding or two pair? Clearly, this guy is not getting away from his hand.




......






Final Pot: $133.60
Hero shows Jc Js (three of a kind, Jacks)
SB shows Th 9c (a straight, Queen high)
SB wins $130.60
(Rake: $3.00)
Totally PWNED! I did not even remotely put him on that.

2 comments:

  1. PM,
    Nothing embarrassing here. Embarrassing would have been checking down or playing weakly while assuming the worst. I expect T9/KhTh to either re-ship the turn (since there are so many redraws out there) or lead for value on the river, so it's very hard to put villain on this hand here. I like your line...you're often getting called by several 2-pair hands and 88.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks noldmax. The fact that I felted myself is the issue. Prior to his call, I'm not even considering a made straight - which is perhaps also embarrassing in and of itself... To top matters off, I stayed around at this table trying to catch something against him to recapture my losses and get him into a favorable situation again, but nothing... I think he was a bit frightened of me, because he folded readily to any activity from me - and he had position on me.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive