Friday, July 16, 2010

What would you do? #141 - Facing a river "shove" holding a rivered top pair

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $69.15
BTN: $50.00
SB: $50.00 - 24/4 / 13% steal / 2.0% 3bet / 2.0 aggression factor / 1K hands
BB: $64.05 - 54/3 / 0% steal / 7.4% 3bet / 1.3 aggression factor / 99 hands
UTG: $50.00
UTG+1: $55.65
UTG+2: $56.35
MP1: $62.90
MP2: $45.35

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with Td Kh
5 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 1 fold, SB calls $1.25, BB calls $1
A little bit about SB: he's continually shown to be a weak, passive player.  He plays his made hands strong, and weak hands weak.  He's a weak tight reg.

Flop: ($4.50) 5s 8h 2h (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $3.75, SB calls $3.75, BB folds

Turn: ($12.00) Jc (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($12.00) Ks (2 players)
SB bets $7, Hero raises to $14, SB requests TIME, SB raises to $44.75 all in, Hero requests TIME, Hero folds
Bad raise?  Regardless, I can feel very confident I'm not folding the best hand here, right?  There's no way a weak passive player is stacking off with a pair of Jacks or a weaker hand than KT.

Final Pot: $40.00
SB wins $38.00
(Rake: $2.00)

4 comments:

  1. easy fold based on your read.

    Not sure what he's holding based on his range, though - maybe a set or KJ? If so, I hate his check on the turn.

    Not sure what he's so confident about on the river

    ReplyDelete
  2. good fold, but you're right, why raise if a weak passive player is finally betting the river- what worse hands do you think this player is calling a river raise with? If he has a king, its probably better than yours to begin with; i wouldn't be surprised to see a set here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous - I'm raising here because I hit an unlikely King. Here's the logic that's going through my head which justified the [min] raise: I check through the turn - a turn that SB was either looking to check / raise or check / peel a free card. When I don't bet the turn, he realizes that I am likely to check the river and he doesn't want to go to showdown without trying to get some value on the river. Therefore he leads the river to force the action.

    With my raise, I figure he puts me on a polarized air / monster type hand and will call my raise.

    His shove says to me that he puts me on a rivered AK -type hand and I can't get away from it. If he has AK beat, I'm pretty certain he has 2 pair beat... yes, I agree that he shows up with a set.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive