Friday, July 9, 2010

What would you do? #136 - Facing river shove with middle pair

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

MP2: $50.75
CO: $17.50
BTN: $49.00 - 28 / 17 / 67% steal / 0% 3bet / 3.5 aggression factor @ 30 hands
SB: $59.55
Hero (BB): $50.00
UTG: $110.60
UTG+1: $32.20
MP1: $37.55

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 9c 3c
5 folds, BTN raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $5, BTN calls $3.50
Typical spot; this guy has been raising a ton of buttons and COs...

Flop: ($10.25) 4h Ac 4c (2 players)
Hero bets $7, BTN raises to $14, Hero calls $7
Club flush draw.

Turn: ($38.25) 9h (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks
Nice to get a pair to go along with the draw.

River: ($38.25) Jh (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $30 all in, Hero requests TIME, Hero ???
I think your hand is a bluff catcher.  Do you make the call?



Click to see results


Either this player is a very tricky player, or he's a total donkey bluffing in a spot where it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bluff. I don't think there's any chance he flopped a boat. The reason I call, though, is because of the check on the turn. Referring to my first sentence, a good majority of the players out there are *NEVER* checking back the turn if they have a good- or even decent- Ace. They're betting for value, particularly after raising the flop. I've somewhat established my hand as a draw or weak Ace by my flop call. None his hands are worthy of shoving 60BBs on the river; it is unlikely he turned a set of 9's, and if he hit a Jack, he's looking to get to showdown. It just seems like such a fishy play, I make the call and find he turned his hand into a TOTAL bluff.

Hero calls $30

Final Pot: $98.25
BTN shows 2c 3s (a pair of Fours) -LOL; playing the board!!!
Hero shows 9c 3c (two pair, Nines and Fours)
Hero wins $95.25
(Rake: $3.00)

4 comments:

  1. "Raising a lot of buttons" after 30 hands? He raised 3 buttons??
    I agree with your analysis and understand why you called the river. Not sure I have the Ballz to call there but my question is the preflop 3 bet? This seems really light with little information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually 2/3 of the SB, BTN & COs, so cumulatively, it was probably about 4 times in 6 opportunities. I feel like 3betting there is going to take down the pot more often then not. Moreover, I feel like a raise on the flop is setting up for stacks on the turn - his check behind clearly sends a different message, unless he hit a set of Jacks or an odd 4x combo. That's where I got the ballz to call; his line didn't make any sense whatsoever: i.e. flop build pot -> turn pot control -> river build pot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm tempted to shove the flop after that stupid min-raise.

    as played I think a call is ok

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive