Friday, September 24, 2010

What would you do? #186 - Deep stacked with Aces up

 Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG+2): $214.50
MP1: $58.80
MP2: $101.00
CO: $207.20 - 18/13 / 34% steal / 5.7% 3bet / 3.0 AF / 954 hands
BTN: $108.35
SB: $100.50
BB: $94.55
UTG: $48.50
UTG+1: $99.00

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is UTG+2 with As 9s
2 folds, Hero raises to $3, 2 folds, CO calls $3, 2 folds, BB calls $2

Flop: ($9.50) 2s Ac 9d (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $6, BB folds, Hero calls $6
Great flop; there are ton of "better" Aces.

Turn: ($21.50) 3d (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $18, Hero calls $18
I thought about raising here, but he's so deep stacked & this is such a confident bet...  Anyone raising here?

River: ($57.50) Qs (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $38, Hero ???
I think I can definitely get stacks in here; he likes his hand.  WWYD?  Is Aces up good enough for 200BBs?

It just feels too much like he's value betting me with a far superior hand.  I'm pretty certain he didn't hit his Queen on the river, and it is unlikely for him to have sets of Aces or 9's, which leaves him with a set of 2's or AK.  This feels so much like a value bet, though...  Therefore, I reduce my hand to bluff catcher.  As a reg, he just doesn't strike me as the type to overvalue AK


Hero calls $38

Final Pot: $133.50
Hero mucks As 9s
CO shows 2h 2c (three of a kind, Twos)
CO wins $130.50
(Rake: $3.00)

5 comments:

  1. Why are you c/c'ing 3 streets as the PFR? Better to just cbet and keep barreling for value.

    As played just call riv, even if I had AQ in villain's shoes I would probs puke/fold to a river c/r on a board like this, so for us to do it with A9 is way over-repping our hand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to c/r the turn. When you are deep like this you need to start to build a pot somewhere. Especially OOP.

    As to 200BB deep and getting 2 pair in...not sure what I feel other than to say it is highly opponent dependent. He is clearly not scared of the A so I think his range here is probably AT+ and sets. I mean he isn't 3 barrelling KK or QQ or JJ (at least there aren't many players who can do that).

    Although you are seriously underrepped at this point I think I just call the river.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny; At no point - flop, turn or river - did I feel like I had anything but a bluff catcher, which is why I never raised the hand. Unless a 9 or Ace hits the turn / river, I don't feel like I can get stacks in.

    I'm surprised at the comments; I thought this hand was played fine - if anything, given the results, I could have folded sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, you didn't think you were ahead on the flop w/ top 2? Or even on the turn before he bets almost pot?

    for what it is worth, I raise weaker looking bets on the turn, but not this sized bet. You're right, that is a confident bet, unlikely to be a bluff. However, he could be confidently betting AQ, and checking back the river if you call.

    I also just call the river. Raising doesn't fold out anything you beat (maybe/possibly AQ, but doubtful), and you won't get paid by much (A2,A3, and Q9; if they are even in his range, which i doubt.).

    I don't like to play for stacks w/ just 2 pair for 200bb against decent players. You just value town yourself. Honestly, small sets can sometimes be questionable for stacks 200bb deep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous - You know, I really wasn't sure. If I didn't think I was ahead on the flop or turn, I'm obviously folding, but I wasn't sure I was ahead or behind here, which was why I opted for the call down. I just had a feeling something was up...

    You're absolutely correct about the small sets; I think 200BB deep it's okay, but deeper than that, you really need to consider top set type holdings... The deeper you are, the closer to the nuts you need to be.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive