Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pre- and post- game process - Part IV

I'm finding that more and more, in order to continue being a successful poker player, one needs to maintain discipline at all times. Discipline includes more than just playing your "A" game at the table, but putting in time after the game is over to review your hand histories, as well as education and researching. The following is part four of a series of four posts that I will be posting dealing with my pre- and post- game process.

The Supplemental Tools

The final [and smallest] piece of my process is spent looking for ways to increase my profits. As I have posted here before, and will continue to post, I find deals through various deal sites such as slickdeals.com or fatwallet.com. The deals I find there enable me to get a positive return on investment (ROI) just as the process components above, but this is an example of tangible assets. For example, are you aware that there is a Wireless Poker Controller which basically amounts to a portable joystick for fast switching and controlling poker tables? Though it is expensive, in the [far] future, I may consider purchasing it if I can see where it will help my game. Moreover, as everyone who reads this blog already knows, I use PokerTracker, which is a
poker tracking and analysis software tool - which displays real-time statistics on your poker table. Finally, this part of my process can go so far as to the purchase of a new laptop for my poker playing (by the way, the new laptop has nearly paid for itself already by the sheer volume of additional hands I can see by 6 tabling). This part of the process accounts for the final 5% of the non-poker playing time.

In the end, when it's all said and done, over the long term - do the results really matter? The question is: have you maximized the profitability for the hands you're dealt? Are you going to be the player who breaks even after rakeback, or are you going to be the player who puts in the time and plugs the holes to maximize your performance on the table? Formulate your game plan away from the table. Execute the process you have mapped out for yourself, which suits your own style and interests. Commit and dedicate yourself to following out that process. In the end, the results will show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive