Monday, June 22, 2009

But that's not all, folks....

Button had been fairly tight. Here, I'm putting him on a premium pocket pair. With my luck (WTF was I thinking), I figured T8s plays well against high PP's. I flop good.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from
http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP2 ($13.68)
CO ($2)
Button ($9.37)
Hero (SB) ($7.79)
BB ($11.70)
UTG ($2.33)
UTG+1 ($2.32)
MP1 ($5.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8s, 10s
5 folds, Button bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 10h, 8h, 9h (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $0.60, Hero raises to $2, Button calls $1.40
His smooth to my check raise confirms the AA/KK/QQ/JJ suspicion.

Turn: ($4.70) Ah (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks
Can it get any worse for me? Come on - not only a heart, but my bet is that he just set himself. If I bet out here, I don't think his set is going anywhere.

River: ($4.70) As (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks
Well now, he either just quaded up or has two pair (top two that is) - OR HAS A MONSTER flush. WTF are you calling a flop c/r with but checking down the river?
Total pot: $4.70 | Rake: $0.31

Results:
Button had 7h, 7s (flush, Ace high).
Hero had 8s, 10s (two pair, Aces and tens).
Outcome: Button won $4.39
Once again, WTF? Check raised and you smooth the flop? WTF?!?!?!??!?!?! Oh yeah! You had the 7 of hearts and waited for running hearts! Oh yeah! Silly me! I'm going to puke.

I don't know whether a bet on the turn would have forced a fold, but my logic by not betting is this: If he has a stubborn AK, KK, or QQ (even JJ), then chances are he now holds a pretty good one card flush - if not a set. He's not laying down. The running ace further cements me into a check / check because I'm certain he has me crushed and is calling any river bet. I think this hand highlights the importance of position; had I had position over him, I could have evaluated his checks and taken a stab. As such, I am unable to act while out of position.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive