Thursday, January 28, 2010

What would you do? #51 - Rivered top pair facing oversized raise against good regular

As I alluded to in earlier posts, I'm starting to take shots at $100NL. I want to establish that I can play that level. When I was ready to go up back in December, my bankroll was decimated due to the UIGEA enforcement that I thought was probably going to go into effect. However, I have since re-established a nicely-sized bankroll, and have started to take shots at the "big time." Here's an interesting hand that still has me thinking:

Sleekest is a good winning regular at these stakes, so getting mixed up in a pot with him is not my idea of a good time. I have a nominal amount of hands on him, but according to Will Wonka, he's a:
15/12/4.3 over 10K hands
36% Steal overall and 53 from button
74CBet
Folds to 3 bets 61%

Clearly, he's a TAG. Clearly, I need to get used to this type of aggression; I'm not seeing it at $50NL and I'm not quite sure how to handle it. How light should I be typically calling?

Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1 Pot Limit Hold'em - 8 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $100.00
UTG: $40.20
UTG+1: $148.15
MP1: $152.70
MP2: $82.65
CO: $100.00
BTN: $63.20
Hero (SB): $166.20

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is SB with 9d Jd
2 folds, MP1 raises to $3.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $3, 1 fold
I should probably have folded, but how can I fold J9s?

Flop: ($8.00) 6d 2d 7c (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks
In position, with no cbet, he checks? Interesting...

Turn: ($8.00) 2h (2 players)
Hero bets $5, MP1 calls $5
Well, I have 2 diamonds and there's two diamonds on the board, so maybe I'll start to build a pot in the event I do hit. Additionally, I can potentially take this down right now. No dice, though.

River: ($18.00) Jc (2 players)
Hero bets $7, MP1 raises to $39, Hero folds
Good river. Sleekest has been completely passive in this hand and I honestly expect a call behind. He instead opts to overbet raise this pot. WTF? Anyone calling this? My thought is that I have $14 vested in this pot, and by calling another $32(!!!) is throwing good money after bad. Am I wrong? Should I be calling him light in this spot? I somewhat sense that he has a boat with this sized raise; hoping that I have an overpair or connected with the river. I'm confused by the fact that he did not bet the flop, though, with a lot of draws out there...

Opinions? Bad fold?

Final Pot: $32.00
MP1 wins $30.40
(Rake: $1.60)

3 comments:

  1. A couple of things.

    1) J9d against sleekest is not terrible; but the guy rarely pays you off. I still have a running joke with the guy that he never pays me off.

    2) Bet sizing on river is what TAGs like him look for. It looks weak and then preys on it.

    3) I would never call down this light against him

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he flopped a set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon you did the right thing, but its hard to tell. You gotta be there in the heat of the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive