Thursday, August 27, 2009

Flopped monster - play strong or wait for the hand to hit?

So I seem to have a problem, which I'm not really sure is a problem: What to do when flopping a monster draw?

The example below has me check / raising the flop with my open ended straight / flush draw.

Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/252296
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $19.15
UTG: $5.00
Hero (UTG+1): $27.50
MP1: $28.02
MP2: $6.26
CO: $24.68
BTN: $10.00
SB: $28.90

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is UTG+1 with Qc Tc
1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds, CO raises to $1, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.75
Loose, out of position call. I call with a suited gapper to a tight raiser. If a Q hits and I run into resistance, I'm an easy fold.
Flop: ($2.35) 9c Jh Ac (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $1.50, Hero raises to $4, CO folds
Bingo! I hit a monster flop with draws every which way. When he bets out, I don't really care what he has. I prefer it to be all in here (unless, of course, he has a set). I raise, hoping for a call and / or a re-raise. I get nothing. Now, the question is, did I play this too strong? Should I want to play this strong? My thought is I have max value on the flop; I have at least 45% equity. Plus, I have fold equity. Is that what I want, though? Fold equity? Do I want him laying down, or should I be smoothing here? I get into this situation a lot, and feel like I'm not getting max value for my monster draws like this...

Final Pot: $5.35
Hero wins $5.09
(Rake: $0.26)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive